The Medical Science programme of PICOMS prepares graduates by offering a broader range of specialisations and new topics that focus on the professional skills required to gain employment in any field of medical science. It is an innovative and flexible course providing exciting options for students interested in a wide range of careers in the medical and health sciences.
- Passed SPM / SPMV / O-Level with minimum 3 credits; 1 of which must be from a Science subject.
- Passed Certificate from IPTS approved by Ministry of Higher Education with Standard Minimum; or
- Any qualifications that are recognized by the Malaysian Government; or
- Overseas qualifications that are recognized by the Malaysian Government.
AIM OF STUDY
- The Diploma in Medical Sciences is a three year programme which aims to provide students with the basic education in sciences
- In order to achieve this, the syllabus has been designed to provide you initially with a strong ground in basic sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Immunology, Hematology, Oncology, Pathology, Biostatistic, Computation and etc), which are relevant to an understanding of the health sciences.
- Other courses like Alternative & Traditional Medicine, Medical Emergencies and Professional & Personal Development, unique to this programme are also offered to provide students with sound knowledge in alternative medical treatment.
DURATION OF STUDY
- A three year course, each year is divided into 2 semesters.
- Total credit hours: 92
Medical Science is the study of humans and medicine. It provides basic science knowledge as well as the medically-oriented science necessary for understanding the human condition in both health and disease.
With medical science you will learn about the scientific basis of medicine. This includes understanding the way that the body and major organs work as a whole (anatomy, physiology) and the foundations of human behaviour (psychology).
Of course, the study of medicine requires an understanding of the basis of human disease and how rapid advances in science have transformed medicine in recent years. Therefore, you will learn how a person’s genetics and biochemistry determine how individual cells, organelles and biomolecular function (genetics, biochemistry, metabolism), and courses in clinical pathology, immunology, and pharmacology will provide you with a strong focus on medicine. Also, to be up to date with the impact of infectious diseases in the future, you will take courses addressing public health science – microbiology, infectious disease, epidemiology and infection control.
Altogether, the study of Medical Science will provide you with an excellent understanding of the human body and its workings, and position you for the next stage of undergraduate programme.
In preparing for your admission, the Department of Medical Sciences has worked and in concert with other Department/School in the Faculty of Allied Health Sciences to set in place the requisite facilities for teaching and learning in our campus.
The Diploma in Medical Sciences course at PICOMS provides extensive and integrated teaching covering areas of chemistry and biology. Our course also emphasizes practical skills and experience at all stages, including case studies on diseases.
You will undergo a three year programme in which the learning spans on lecturing, tutorials, problem-based learning and practicals.
Graduates will find career opportunities in diverse areas such as medical research carried out in universities and government and industry-funded organisations, the pharmaceutical industry, government regulatory industries, industry-based biomedical companies, diagnostic laboratories, health administration and health planning and policy.
In summary, graduates can find work in this various options:
- Ministry of Science and Technology (Penolong Pegawai Penyelidik Gred Q27)
- Various Ministry (Penolong Pegawai Sains Gred C27)
- Research Assistant
- Clinical Data Associate
- Clinical Research Associate
- Diagnostic Laboratory Technician
- Health/Hospital Administrator
- Laboratory Scientist
- Laboratory Technician
- Medical Journalist
- Medical Sales Representative
- Assistant Microbiologist
- Pharmaceutical Representative
- Production Assistant Officer
- Production Technician
- R & D Technician
- Technical Officer
This programme serves as an alternative pathway to pursue undergraduates study in health or medicine programmes. With Diploma in Medical Sciences, it opens door to this various bachelor programmes in local or international universities:
Degree in Doctor of Medicine (Science stream only)
Degree in Doctor of Dentistry (Science stream only)
Bachelor of Audiology with Honours
Bachelor of Dietetics with Honours
Bachelor of Physiotherapy with Honours
Bachelor of Environmental Health with Honours
Bachelor of Optometry with Honours
Bachelor of Diagnostic Imaging and Radiotherapy with Honours
Bachelor of Biomedicine with Honours
Bachelor of Nutrition Science with Honours
Bachelor of Speech Science with Honours
Bachelor of Forensic Science with Honours